Monday, June 26, 2006

I swear it was thiiiiiiiis big


Well, I've discovered a new passion for fishing and in the same process, one more thing for Claudette to complain about.

Yep, the stereotypical scenario of 'husband goes fishing, husband leaves wife and kid behind, husband comes back from fishing excursion, fishing excursion is brought back as back-up ammunition in later arguments'.

Ok, it's not like I've been going every weekend lately, but I am now privy to 'the look' anytime I mention the possibility of going fishing.

It's primal. Must....kill....animal....to feed....family. Or then again, just hang out on a boat, drink a few beers, smoke a few cigs, shoot the shit with Dom and his friend Jay, and reel in the occasional, tasty victim. Oh yeah, and catch in the scenery.

The unfortunate thing about this 'sport' is that you need patience. You're not there to power-fish in 30 minutes and get off the lake. Sacha can last 30 minutes, as I witnessed this weekend. After he caught his first bass ever, he preferred drinking 'de l'eau spéciale' (Perrier) rather than try his luck again. Actually, he had no clue he had caught a fish since the line from his nifty Batman rod did all the work. I saw the rod moving around the boat, grabbed the line in my hands and felt a fish at the other end. Sacha reeled 'er in and was quite impressed with his catch (that amazement lasted approx. 14 seconds, then it shifted to the bubbles in his eau spéciale). He then laid his head down and that was the cue to head back to the cottage.

Claudette, on the other hand, has yet to demonstrate her fishing abilities. She'll have her chance this weekend at my dad's cottage. Who knows, she might actually like it if she lands her first big fish.

I'd really like her to enjoy fishing. In a perfect world she would beg me to go fishing and then when she would catch one, she would then proceed to perform reiki on her catch in order to tenderize it before it hits the frying pan.

And they say us pisces are dreamers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home